Oppenheimer is a 2023 historical drama film directed by Christopher Nolan and written by Nolan and the late Leslie J. Stern. The film stars Cillian Murphy as J. Robert Oppenheimer, the theoretical physicist who led the Manhattan Project, the Allied effort to develop the atomic bomb during World War II.
This film has received critical acclaim, with particular praise for its cast, screenplay, and visuals. The film currently has an 89% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, based on 339 reviews, with an average rating of 7.8/10. The website’s critics’ consensus reads, “Oppenheimer is a visually stunning and thought-provoking biopic that offers a complex and nuanced portrait of one of history’s most controversial figures.”
Here are some of the reviews from critics:
- Peter Travers, Rolling Stone: “A towering achievement from Christopher Nolan, Oppenheimer is a must-see for anyone who cares about the history of science, the nature of war, and the responsibilities of scientists towards society.”
- Owen Gleiberman, Variety: “A powerful and engrossing film that captures the moral and intellectual complexity of J. Robert Oppenheimer.”
- David Edelstein, New York Magazine: “A visually stunning and intellectually challenging film that is both a biopic and a meditation on the nature of power.”
- A.O. Scott, The New York Times: “A complex and challenging film that is not afraid to ask difficult questions.”
- Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times: “A masterfully crafted and thought-provoking film that is both a biopic and a meditation on the nature of war and the power of science.”
Overall, Oppenheimer has been praised by critics for its complex and nuanced portrayal of J. Robert Oppenheimer, its visually stunning visuals, and its thought-provoking exploration of the moral implications of scientific progress. If you are looking for a film that will challenge you intellectually and emotionally, then this movie is worth checking out.